today demonstrated its new digital music service for the Apple iPhone
, iPod Touch
and other portable media players and cell phones. The FlyTunes
service offers users a personalized satellite radio-like experience, with thousands of channels of digital music that can be enjoyed anywhere they go, regardless of wireless connection. FlyTunes
outshines satellite radio in a number of ways:
- FlyTunes does not require a receiver or additional hardware purchase; it works with the cell phone or personal media player already in a consumer’s pocket.
- FlyTunes offers access to over 100 times more channels than satellite radio, covering every conceivable musical taste.
- FlyTunes plays everywhere, unlike satellite radio, which does not work inside buildings, or on planes.
- FlyTunes allows users to personalize their music channels. While listening, users can promote favorite songs and flag unwanted ones (never to be played again).
- There are no setup or monthly fees for FlyTunes.
bridges the massive disconnect that exists between the hundreds of millions of cell phones and portable media players people already own, and thousands of Internet radio stations that broadcast every type of music they could want," said FlyTunes CEO Sam Abadir. "From the user’s perspective, FlyTunes provides an extremely easy-to-use service that allows them to quickly get the music they want and to discover new music. Because FlyTunes uniquely sits between the broadcasters and the listener, it offers users personalized music, which has never been possible for satellite or terrestrial broadcasters, and the ability to cache hours of music for offline listening," continued Abadir.FlyTunes
allows users to create their own customized music channels by searching over 20,000 Internet radio stations to find music that matches their preferences. Hours of personalized music can be cached to a portable media player or cell phone and listened to anywhere. Portable devices with 3G capability can quickly cache additional music, greatly reducing battery drain.