Sydney, Australia, Sunnyvale, CA and Waterloo, ON - Vodafone Australia, Palm, Inc. (Nasdaq: PALM) and Research In Motion (RIM) (Nasdaq: RIMM; TSX: RIM) today announced the availability of BlackBerry® Connect™ for the Palm® Treo™ 650 smartphone on the Vodafone mobile network in Australia.(1)
The BlackBerry Connect software enables Vodafone’s new and existing Treo 650 users to enjoy push-based wireless email and calendar synchronization with BlackBerry Enterprise Server™.
“With the addition of Vodafone Australia’s support of BlackBerry Connect, we’re providing more customers greater flexibility and choice for meeting their mobile needs,” said John Hartnett, senior vice president of worldwide sales and customer relations for Palm. “Palm’s broad range of world-class, enterprise-strength mobile-computing solutions lets customers simplify their business and personal lives with the increased mobility offered by an all-in-one device.”
Ed Goff, general manager, Business Markets, at Vodafone Australia, said, “We’re changing the way Australian businesses operate with simple, but very smart mobile voice and data solutions. Vodafone is entirely focused on customers who want the freedom and flexibility to communicate and access information almost anytime and anywhere within coverage areas.”
“Vodafone has long supported the Treo product family, and now that we offer BlackBerry Connect on the Treo 650, our customers will enjoy a full, feature-rich mobile email experience,” added Goff.
Norm Lo, vice president for Asia Pacific at RIM, said, “Companies around the world are embracing the security, efficiency and robust management capabilities supported by BlackBerry and enjoying the many personal productivity and organizational workflow benefits enabled by BlackBerry wireless email. We are very pleased to provide BlackBerry Connect on the Treo 650 for Vodafone’s customers in Australia.”
BlackBerry Connect on the Treo 650 smartphone supports Microsoft Exchange® and IBM Lotus® Domino® customers with the following features:
- “Push” Corporate Email delivers messages automatically -- and wirelessly -- to the Treo 650 smartphone’s inbox. Changes to the inbox, including read/unread status and deletion, can be automatically synchronized between the user’s email account and the Treo 650.
- Wireless Calendar Synchronization keeps the Treo 650 smartphone’s built-in Calendar up to date remotely, allowing users to receive, accept or decline meeting requests on the go.
- Attachment Viewing lets users view Excel, Word, PowerPoint, and PDF documents in original format.(2)
- Remote Address Lookup (RAL) allows users to search their corporate directory wirelessly for email addresses without the need to download every name to the Treo 650.
- Enables centralized device management, including support for IT policies such as over-the-air device disablement and password device lock, as well as end-to-end security with Triple DES encryption.