T-Mobile and Research In Motion (RIM) today unveiled the BlackBerry Pearl, available beginning Tuesday, September 12.
As the sleekest BlackBerry yet, the Pearl measures a mere 4.2" x 1.97" x 0.57" and weighing just 3.1 ounces. The BlackBerry wireless email solution continues to support for both personal and corporate email accounts, allowing consumers to stay connected to family, friends and work. Web browsing is fast thanks to T-Mobile's fast EDGE network. And integrated multimedia features offer a 1.3-megapixel digital camera, multimedia capabilities and an expandable memory slot for the first time.
The BlackBerry Pearl delivers easy-to-use phone features including Speaker Independent Voice Recognition for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), support for polyphonic, MP3 and MIDI ringtones, and intuitive call management features such as smart dialing, conference calling, speed dialing and call forwarding. It also features a speakerphone and Bluetooth 2.0 for use with hands-free headsets, car kits and other Bluetooth peripherals such as a GPS receiver. BlackBerry Desktop Software synchronization via Bluetooth is also supported.
With a helpful Setup Wizard, the unique "push-based" BlackBerry service gives users synchronized access to both personal and corporate email accounts with attachment viewing and the ability to manage multiple accounts while on the go. The BlackBerry Pearl also comes with a newly enhanced version of RIM's SureType QWERTY keypad technology that makes typing messages and dialing phone numbers quick and easy. The handset is supported on BlackBerry Internet Service as well as BlackBerry Enterprise Server, with a new set of IT policy controls on the latter to allow IT departments to administer camera and expansion memory settings on corporate handsets.
Images appear incredibly vivid and crisp on the BlackBerry Pearl's large, ultra-bright, high resolution (240 x 260 px) display. Built-in light sensing technology automatically adjusts the screen and keypad brightness for optimum viewing of emails and attachments, pictures, web pages, business applications and games in indoor, outdoor and dark environments. The BlackBerry Pearl also introduces an intuitive user interface with a responsive trackball that makes vertical and lateral scrolling fast and easy. Dedicated 'menu' and 'escape' keys on either side of the trackball along with context sensitive menus make navigation instinctive, smooth, and true to the BlackBerry experience.
Featuring a 1.3-megapixel camera with built-in flash and 5x digital zoom, users can snap a picture and instantly share it with friends and family by email, MMS or BlackBerry Messenger. Photos can also be set as caller ID images, and can be easily transferred between the handset and a computer using the included USB cable.
BlackBerry Maps delivers maps and step-by-step driving directions quickly and conveniently. BlackBerry Maps works together with other BlackBerry applications, enabling users to send maps via email and launch maps from other applications including contacts in their address book. BlackBerry Maps is currently available in North America only.
The BlackBerry Pearl comes with a media player and stereo headset jack so users can enjoy their favorite music and videos on the go. Music and video clips are delivered with rich sound and vivid color. MP3 and ACC music files and MPEG4 and H.263 video files are supported.
The new BlackBerry Pearl from T-Mobile USA includes:
- BlackBerry Internet Service - allows access to up to 10 personal and corporate email accounts, including most popular ISP email accounts
- Popular instant messaging clients: AOL, Yahoo!, MSN, and ICQ
- 1.3-megapixel camera with 3 zoom levels (up to 5X) and built-in flash
- Multimedia player with stereo headset jack for MP3 and AAC music files, as well as MPEG4 and H.263 video formats
- High performance HTML browser for visiting web sites while on the go
- A newly enhanced version of RIM's popular SureType keyboard technology that makes typing email quick and easy
- An intuitive user interface with an easy-to-use trackball, dedicated 'menu' and 'escape' keys, and context-sensitive menus that make navigation feel instinctive and fast
- Intuitive call management features such as smart dialing, conference calling, speed dialing, and call forwarding
- First-rate phone features with Speaker Independent Voice Recognition (SIVR) for Voice Activated Dialing (VAD), dedicated 'send', 'end', and 'mute' keys, speakerphone, and Bluetooth support for hands-free use with headsets, car kits and Bluetooth peripherals
- Quad-band GSM/GPRS and EDGE network support for international roaming
- BlackBerry Maps - a new application which adds mapping and location based services to the BlackBerry Pearl, also working together with other BlackBerry applications to enable users to send maps via email and launch maps from other applications
- Support for polyphonic, MP3 and MIDI ringtones
- A large, ultra-bright 240 x 260 px color display that brings images to life
- An innovative light-sensing technology that automatically optimizes the screen, trackball and keyboard lighting for indoor, outdoor and dark environments
- 64.0 MB built-in flash memory, expandable via MicroSD expansion slot
- BlackBerry Enterprise Server support - integrates with Microsoft Exchange, IBM Lotus Domino and Novell GroupWise environments and features a new set of IT policy controls for IT departments to administer camera and expansion memory settings